Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Movie Review: RED

Movie: RED
Produced by: Summit Entertainment and DC Comics
Rated: PG 13
Country of Origin: United States of America
Genre: Action, Comedy
Length: 111 Min
Staring:Bruce Willis, Mary-Louise Parker, John Malkovich, Helen Mirren, and Morgan Freeman

Description:
Frank (Bruce Willis) is retired, bored and lonely living off his government pension in a nondescript suburb in an equally nondescript house. The only joy in Frank's life are his calls to the government pension processing center when he gets to talk to his case worker Sarah (Mary-Louis Parker). Sarah is as bored and lonely as Frank and marks her conversations with the unknown Frank and her spy novels as the only things fun in her life. When something in Frank's past forces Frank back into his old line of work and puts an unwitting Sarah in the middle of the intrigue, Frank and Sarah begin a journey into Franks past and the people he used to work with. Like Frank they are all RED ... Retired Extremely Dangerous. (Source: imdb.com)

Rillean's Comments:
RED is a good movie for people of all ages and genders. It is an action movie, (plenty of guns and explosions for the guys) and a chick flick at the same time (some fairly sappy, cliche romance plots). How they pull it off I am not quite sure, but it works. It is also definitely a comedy. I mean when you are going to a gun fight who grabs a stuffed pig? These guys.
Now for the parts I am not so crazy about. It is a comedy so there are somethings I will give them props for instead of docking points, like I would for a standard action movie (a pig? really?). That being said there are somethings about this movie that I just have a hard time with. First and foremost is the plot. I feel like this one really drags. I knew (just looking at the cover it is easy to tell) that we were going to be following four action heroes. It took quite a while until we met the second member of the team and I just thought "okay cool, he will suggest looking the others up and we will be on with the plot." But this does not happen. Character development and introduction just took way, waaaaaaaay to long in this film. My next biggest complaint is with the explosions. Okay now I am a sucker for pyrotechnics, and the explosions were great in this film, except for one thing that kind of caught my eye. Why is it that all the people who stand near an explosion in this film had a gallon of gasoline with lunch? Seriously, they all seemed to just make their own little explosion, even if they were on the edge of another one (don't believe me watch the RPG scene). I will stop complaining for now on this movie, don't want to scare anyone away. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoyed this movie.

Ratings:
Cinematography: 10/10
Music: 9/10
Actors/Charactors: 7/10
Plot: 4/10
Special Effects: 6/10
Total: 36/50

No comments:

Post a Comment